Saturday, September 10, 2011

The End of the Matter

"The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil." Ecc 12:13-14
This is the verse that has been on my heart lately. It's a power punch to the gut and also one that simplifies everything. There it is, "the whole duty of man". I don't think Solomon could have made it anymore plain and simple than that, and he sure had a while to think about it too (12 chapters of writing's worth). But to actually fear God, or to respect and make God a part of every thought, word and decision, well- that's a pretty tall order to fill. Then, the judgement. This makes me tremble really, because every secret thing being made visible is a pretty scary thought. The whole reason anything is done in secret is because you don't want anyone to know about it! Yet another reminder that we are never truly alone. He is always there. Here's the thing that really baffles me (even though I embrace it) , yes, He's always there but never in judgment of those who are truly His children. The reason is Christ. What a wonderful assurance! The Old Testament believers didn't have that assurance like we do because of being under the old Covenant- which really makes me thankful for being under the new  Covenant! Still, I don't always live in this wonderful assurance. I lose my "cool", have a bad attitude, make a judgmental remark, and still look over my shoulder in doubt of God's love. How thankful I am that Christ is our hope and heaven is our home! He is so gentle to remind us when we forget, isn't He? I can even forget that he's gentle! Hm, the end of the matter, yes, there are always things that are "the matter" but HE is the end of it, the beginning and middle. It's all about Him. This life is just the "great distraction" and we are to live in it, and fight our way, through the muck and mud of this world, to heaven. I have to admit that I'm tired. Tired of fighting and tired of being in this place. This world is a "Beautiful Letdown" as the band Switchfoot would say. That song is the theme of my life in a song form.
In a world full of bitter pain
And bitter doubts
I was trying so hard to fit in
Fit in, until I found out

I don't belong here (I don't belong)
I don't belong here (I don't belong)
I will carry a cross and a song
Where I don't belong
I don't belong 
So, I will continue to carry a cross and song where I don't belong. And strive to remember "The end of the matter" - nothing matters that isn't for God and isn't in accordance with His Word.  I will continue to fail, continue to lose my cool, continue to not speak in truth or kindness at times- but this is all part of carrying the cross. It's all nailed there and paid for and the scarred body of my Saviour is waiting for me in heaven  to review an account of my life that's been covered by His blood. Because of that, I don't belong here. I belong with Him, in his arms and forever praising Him.
Good night,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment